This hearty and warming sausage stew is packed with low carb veggies and a rich tomato sauce.
This is a great option for batch cooking, simply multiply the ingredients accordingly and freeze leftover portions for future meals.
Servings: 2 people
- 4 pork sausages diced into 1 inch pieces
- 4 rashers bacon roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves only
- 2 cups kale
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup leeks sliced
- 1 cup canned tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 medium red onion sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan or casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the diced sausage and cook until browned all over.
- Add the remaining olive oil, onion, garlic, bacon and thyme. Continue to cook until the vegetables are tender and fragrant, and the bacon has browned.
- Add the tomatoes and stock and mix well to combine.
- Bring the stew to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Add the kale, season to taste and stir well. Remove from the heat once the kale has just wilted.
Calories: 1144kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 94g | Saturated Fat: 28g | Cholesterol: 195mg | Sodium: 2095mg | Potassium: 1557mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 7905IU | Vitamin C: 101.2mg | Calcium: 188mg | Iron: 6.6mg