This low carb take on a classic shepherd’s pie, replaces the typical topping of mashed potato with silky smooth cauliflower puree. The minced lamb filling is rich and aromatic with a hint of sweet balsamic vinegar and fragrant rosemary. The shepherd’s pie can be served with either a simple green salad dressed with olive oil or some buttered green beans.
- 400 g minced lamb (ground lamb) 20% fat
- 2 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 240 ml beef stock
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- ½ tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely sliced
- 7.5 g unsalted butter
- ½ medium red onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), 180°C (350°F) for fan assisted.
- Add the cauliflower florets to a pan of boiling water and simmer until tender. The cauliflower needs to be soft enough to blend but not overcooked.
- Whilst the cauliflower is cooking, heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over a low/medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery and the sprig of rosemary. Sweat the vegetables in the oil until tender
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan and add the lamb mince. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook over a medium heat until browned all over.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and hot stock to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil then simmer until the liquid has reduced and thickened – about 15 minutes.
- Whilst the lamb cooks, transfer the cauliflower to a food processor with the chopped rosemary, parmesan, butter and remaining olive oil. Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Remove the rosemary stalk from the filling and transfer the cooked lamb mixture to an oven proof dish. Spoon the cheesy mash evenly over the surface.
- Transfer to the oven to bake for 25 minutes until cooked through and the mash is lightly golden all over.
Calories: 453kcal | Carbohydrates: 10.5g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 32g | Fiber: 5g