These low carb salmon fishcakes are packed with low carb veggies, salty capers, and a hint of zesty lemon.The fishcakes are lightly breaded with ground almonds before being oven baked until crisp and golden. Perfect served with a side salad or a portion of buttered green beans.The recipe calls for half a cup of broccoli rice. Simply trim the tips of broccoli florets so you have small grain-sized pieces.
Servings: 4 people
- 200 g tinned salmon skinless and boneless
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 large spring onion (green onion) roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp mustard
- 30 g baby spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small egg
- 85 g ground almonds
- ½ tbsp capers
- 50 g broccoli rice
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to season
- Add the salmon, lemon zest, capers, spring onion, mayonnaise, 1/4 cup of ground almonds, spinach, broccoli rice, mustard, garlic and egg to a food processor. Season to taste and blend to a coarse paste.
- Divide the mixture into four even patties. Arrange the patties across a plate and cover with cling film. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) , 180°C (350°F) for fan assisted. Lightly grease a shallow oven tray with the olive oil.
- Tip the remaining ground almonds across a clean work surface. Place each patty in the ground almonds and press down gently, turn and repeat on the other sides and around the edges so that they are lightly dusted all over. Don’t worry if the patties are a little delicate – they will firm up completely during cooking.
- Arrange the fishcakes across the oven tray and bake for 18-20 minutes, turning halfway through. The patties should be completely cooked through and golden brown all over.
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 20g | Fiber: 3g