This low carb BBQ chicken bowl is loaded with juicy griddled chicken strips, crispy bacon, creamy avocado, crisp spring onions and a crunchy BBQ slaw.This is a great summer sharing bowl cooked on a griddle pan or BBQ. It’s also ideal for meal prepping your weekly lunches!
Servings: 2 people
For the BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 ½ tsp tamari sauce
- 1 ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 190 g passata
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- salt and pepper to season
For the chicken
- 300 g chicken strips
- 1 ½ tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the Salad bowl
- 4 bacon rashers (strips)
- 2 large spring onions (green onions)
- 1 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large avocado
- 1 tsp lime juice
For the Slaw
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp BBQ sauce
- ⅛ small red cabbage finely sliced
- ⅛ small iceberg lettuce finely sliced
- a pinch of sea salt
- Add all the BBQ sauce ingredients to a small pan over a low/medium heat. Stir together well until smooth and cook gently for a few minutes to heat through. Set aside.
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat. To prepare the salad bowl, whisk together a tablespoon of olive oil and the lime juice.
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the stone. Remove the ends of the spring onions and any stringy leaves. Brush the oil mixture over the avocado and spring onions.
- Arrange the avocado cut side down on the griddle pan along with the spring onions. Cook for a few minutes until tender and char lines appear. Set aside.
- Whilst the avocado is cooking, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the bacon through until crisp and golden. Set aside.
- Heat the griddle pan over a medium/high heat. Brush the chicken pieces with the oil. Add the chicken to the griddle pan and cook for 3-4 minutes each side until cooked through and griddle marks are visible.
- Brush the chicken with half of the reserved BBQ sauce. Cook for a further minute, turn and brush with the remaining sauce. Cook for a further minute or so.
- Whilst the chicken cooks you can prepare the slaw. Whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, reserved BBQ sauce and the salt.
- Add the sliced cabbage and lettuce and stir until well coated in the dressing.
- Arrange the BBQ chicken, bacon, slaw, avocado and spring onions on a large sharing platter to serve.
Calories: 704kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 56g | Fat: 46g | Fiber: 8g