This low carb take on the classic fish and chips uses a ground almond and crispy bacon crumb to coat the cod, and thyme roasted swede in place of chips.Perfect for Friday night feasting served with a simple salad or low carb slaw.
Servings: 2 people
- 1 medium swede (rutabaga)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tbsp fresh thyme
- 4 streaky bacon rashers (strips)
- 85 g ground almonds
- 2 medium cod fillets skinless
- 1 small egg beaten
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), 180°C (350°F) for fan assisted.
- Peel the swede and slice into thick chips.
- Arrange the swede across a shallow oven tray and drizzle over a tablespoon of olive oil and scatter over the fresh thyme. Season to taste.
- Use your hands to coat the chips in the oil and seasonings. Transfer to the oven to bake for 40-45 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Whilst the chips are cooking, heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and add the bacon. Cook until very crispy and golden. Set aside to cool.
- Add the ground almonds to a mixing bowl and crumble in the cooled crispy bacon. Season to taste.
- Taking a rolling pin or pestle, crush the bacon and almonds together to form a crumb.
- Dip each cod fillet into the beaten egg, coating all over.
- Dredge the cod fillets in the bacon crumb until well coated all over.
- Add the breaded fillets to the tray with the chips for the last 15 minutes of cooking time until cooked through and golden brown.
Calories: 614kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 53g | Fiber: 7g