These turkey meatballs are quick and easy to make yet packed with flavour. The meatballs themselves are rich with parmesan, oregano and sundried tomatoes and complemented perfectly by a basil and spinach pesto. Spiralised courgette has been used in place of spaghetti. This can be store bought or you can prepare your own with a spiraliser or by simply using a speed peeler to create thin pasta ribbons.
For the Spaghetti and Meatballs:
- 450 g courgettes (zucchini) spiralised
- 300 g minced turkey (ground turkey)
- 4 sundried tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- ½ tbsp pine nuts
- salt and pepper to season
For the Pesto:
- 25 g fresh basil
- 30 g baby spinach
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of sea salt
- To make the pesto, add the basil, spinach, parmesan, pine nuts, garlic and salt to a food processor and pulse to form a chunky paste.
- Slowly add the oil a little at a time, blending until you reach the desired consistency. Taste and add extra oil or salt if required.
- Add the turkey mince to a mixing bowl along with ¾ of the chopped sundried tomatoes, the oregano, parmesan and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, mix together thoroughly and divide into 12 even meatballs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan (skillet) over a medium heat and add the meatballs. Fry for 3 minutes or so per side or until golden brown all over and completely cooked through.
- Whilst the meatballs are cooking, add the courgette spaghetti to a large pan with 2 tablespoons of water over a low/medium heat. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until just tender, draining away any excess liquid.
- Add 2/3 of the pesto to the pan with the courgette and stir through to coat.
- To serve, top the spaghetti with the meatballs and drizzle over the remaining pesto. Scatter with the remaining tomatoes and pine nuts.
Calories: 667kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 52g | Fiber: 4g