This tasty liver and bacon salad is a great way to incorporate nutrient-dense liver into your diet. Not only is liver loaded with essential vitamins and minerals but is also a budget-friendly source of protein.Topped with a sweet balsamic dressing, crisp bacon and juicy cranberries this is a great way to introduce liver into your weekly diet.
Servings: 2 people
- 200 grams chicken livers
- 4 streaky bacon rashers (strips) roughly chopped
- 105 g watercress
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries unsweetened
- ½ tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- ½ avocado sliced
- ¼ medium red onion sliced
- 30 g walnuts
- salt and pepper to season
- Add the cranberries to a small bowl and cover with boiling water to rehydrate. Once they are plump, drain and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan (skillet) over a medium heat. Add the bacon, cooking until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon then set aside.
- Prepare the livers by removing any sinew and season with salt and pepper. Heat the pan used to cook the bacon over a medium/high heat. Add the liver and cook until browned all over, adding a little extra oil if required.
- Add the garlic and rosemary and continue cooking until the garlic is fragrant and the liver is completely cooked through.
- Whilst the liver is cooking, heat the remaining olive oil in a second pan over a low/medium heat and add the onion. Sweat until tender then add the balsamic and cranberries. Stir well to combine.
- Add the walnuts to a small dry pan over a low/medium heat and gently toast for 2-3 minutes.
- Arrange the watercress in a large salad bowl along with the avocado and toss to combine.
- Add the liver and bacon and spoon over the onion, cranberries and balsamic oil.
- Top with the toasted walnuts to serve.
Calories: 545kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 40g | Fiber: 5g