This simple yet flavorsome recipe is the perfect solution to jazzing up dull lunches. The chicken and vegetables are drizzled in a zesty garlic oil and baked on one tray, keeping washing up to a minimum. The dish is topped with an aromatic basil pesto with a citrus kick. This recipe will provide 8 lunch portions, keeping for 3-4 days in the fridge, making it a great option to prep at weekends and box up ready to go throughout the week.
- 1 kg chicken breast sliced into strips
- 250 g tenderstem broccoli
- 250 g green beans
- 200 g asparagus tips
- 2 small red onions peeled and quartered
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup parmesan grated
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, 180 for fan assisted.
- To prepare the chicken and vegetables, add the lemon juice to a small mixing bowl along with the minced garlic clove and 1/3 cup of olive oil. Whisk together to combine.
- Trim any tough ends from the vegetables and arrange across a large shallow roasting tray, leaving space at one end of the tray for the chicken.
- Add the chicken breast strips to the tray next to the vegetables.
- Drizzle the lemon, garlic and oil mixture over the chicken and vegetables, season to taste then transfer to the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked through, and the vegetables are tender.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking you can prepare the pesto. Add the basil, garlic, pine nuts, parmesan, salt and lemon zest to a food processor. Blend until combined and roughly chopped.
- Slowly drizzle the olive oil into the food processor a little at a time until sauce forms. Taste and adjust seasoning or add extra oil if required.
- Divide the chicken and vegetables evenly into 8 lunch portions/sealed lunchboxes and transfer the pesto to an airtight container. When ready to serve, drizzle the pesto over the vegetables and chicken.
Calories: 494kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 43g | Fat: 32g