This low carb take on tabbouleh uses cauliflower rice in place of grains and is topped with tender sliced chicken breast pieces.
This makes for a great lunch option or light dinner and is also perfect to prepare in bulk for weekly meal prepping.
Servings: 2 people
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small chicken breasts skinless
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 1 medium tomato deseeded and finely diced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 small red onion finely diced
- 1/3 cup cucumber finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add the cauliflower rice to a small pan with a tablespoon of water. Heat gently over a low/medium heat for 2-3 minutes until just tender. Transfer to a large salad bowl to cool.
- To butterfly the chicken, slice each breast in half along the side, taking care not to slice all the way through. Open out and flatten slightly so that they cook evenly. Season with a little salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over a medium/high heat. Add the butterflied chicken breasts and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Cook for 4 minutes each side or until cooked through but still moist.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, add the parsley, onion, cucumber, lemon zest and tomato to the serving dish with the cauliflower rice. Season to taste and drizzle with the remaining olive oil and lemon juice. Toss well to combine.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the pine nuts to the pan and toast gently for 2-3 minutes until lightly golden.
- Slice the chicken and arrange over the tabbouleh and scatter with the toasted pine nuts to serve.
Calories: 431kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 28g | Fiber: 3g