This low carb tagine is rich with tender lamb, sweet tomato, sharp lemon and aromatic spices.The tagine is served with a cauliflower cous cous and topped with fresh herbs and crunchy almonds.This is a great option for batch cooking as you can double the stew ingredients accordingly and freeze portions for future meals.
Servings: 4 people
for the tagine
- 500 grams lamb shoulder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2.5 cups chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 1 preserved lemon
- 1 tbsp slivered almonds
- 1 white onion small, finely sliced
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ras el hanout
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup green olives pitted
for the cous cous
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, 160 for fan assisted.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the lamb and brown all over. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reduce the heat a little and add the onion and dried spices. Stir well to combine, sweating the onion until tender.
- Add the garlic and stir again, cooking until tender and fragrant.
- Return the lamb to the pan and stir well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, preserved lemon and the stock. Cover the casserole dish and transfer to the oven for one hour.
- After an hour, remove the casserole dish from the oven and stir in the olives. Return to the oven for a further 30 minutes until the lamb is tender.
- Whilst the tagine finishes cooking you can prepare the cous cous. Heat the olive oil in a small pan over a gentle heat and add the cumin seeds, warming until fragrant.
- Add in the cauliflower rice and the lemon zest, stir well to combine. Cook the rice for two to three minutes until hot through.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, add the flaked almonds to a dry pan over a low heat and lightly toast for a minute or two until golden.
- Serve the tagine with the cous cous and scatter over the toasted almond and fresh coriander.
Calories: 554kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 42g | Fiber: 6g