A keto twist on a classic favourite, these pulled pork burgers are loaded with flavour, fats and low carb veggies. The pork is slow cooked in sweet and smoky seasonings until tender and served in a portobello mushroom bun – with all the classic trimmings! If you wanted to reduce the carb count further still you could omit the mushroom bun and serve in lettuce wraps.
For the pork:
- 400 g pork shoulder
- 1 teaspoon xylitol
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
For the slaw:
- 2 teaspoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red onions finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup red cabbage finely sliced
- 1 generous pinch sea salt
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 medium dill pickles
- ½ cup iceberg lettuce shredded
- Add the xylitol, paprika, cumin, garlic powder and salt to a small bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add the pork shoulder to the slow cooker and sprinkle over the seasoning mix. Use your hands to rub the mixture into the pork.
- Add the water, mustard and balsamic vinegar to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on slow for 8 hours until completely cooked through and tender. Shred the tender meat with two forks.
- Before serving you can prepare the slaw. Add the cabbage and onion to a small bowl and toss to combine. Whisk together the sour cream, tomato puree, paprika, garlic powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Spoon the sour cream mixture over the vegetables and stir well to combine until completely coated. Set aside.
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms. Wipe the mushrooms clean and brush all over with a little olive oil.
- Heat a grill to high and place the mushrooms on a grill rack, cap side up. Grill for 6-7 minutes until tender and cooked through.
- To serve, divide the shredded lettuce between two mushroom halves. Divide the pulled pork between the two mushrooms and top each with half the slaw. Slice the dill pickles in half lengthways and arrange on top of the slaw. Top with the remaining mushroom ‘buns’ to finish.
Calories: 610kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 40g