This keto beef casserole has a rich tomato and balsamic sauce and is complemented by aromatic fennel. Perfect served alongside a portion of cauliflower rice or with keto bread for dipping!This makes for a great batch cooking option – perfect for freezing for future meals.
Servings: 4 people
- 500 g beef diced
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 medium celery stalks roughly chopped
- 1.5 cups fennel roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely sliced
- 1 medium white onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes
- Add the olive oil to a large casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the beef and cook until browned all over. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery to the pan. Sweat gently until tender.
- Add the fennel and thyme and stir well to combine. Cook for a further minute or two until fragrant.
- Add the tomato purée and balsamic vinegar and stir well to coat the vegetables.
- Return the beef to the pan and stir well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stock and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook gently for an hour.
- Uncover and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Discard thyme stalks to serve.
Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 23g | Fiber: 2g