This Cuban beef stew is rich with a thick tomato sauce, sweet peppers, salty olives and melt in the mouth shredded beef. Great with cauliflower rice or keto breads for dipping!
This is perfect for batch cooking and extra portions can be frozen for future meals.
Servings: 2 people
- 370 g sirloin steak
- 12 pimento olives
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 small red bell pepper deseeded and sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 small red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper deseeded and sliced into strips
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- the juice of half a lime
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large casserole dish over a medium heat. Season the steaks and add to the pan. Brown well on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and add the celery, onion and peppers. Sweat until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Add the dried herbs and spices, lime juice, zest and tomato purée. Stir well to combine.
- Add the stock and tomatoes, stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Return the steaks to the pan, covering them in the sauce. Bring to a gentle boil then reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer gently for 1 and a half hours until the steak is tender and the sauce thickened.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and shred with two forks.
- Return the shredded beef to the pan along with the olives and simmer uncovered for a further 10 minutes to heat the olives through.
- Scatter with fresh cilantro to serve.
Calories: 674kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 53g | Fat: 45g | Fiber: 4g