This mushroom carbonara is a low carb take on a classic favourite. Spiralised courgette is used in place of traditional spaghetti as the perfect base for a rich and creamy carbonara sauce. The recipe calls for spiralised courgette which can be shop bought or homemade using a spiraliser or speed peeler. The key to the perfect carbonara is to not cook the courgette for long so that it does not release liquid, if it does, simply drain the excess away before adding the egg mixture.
- 800 g courgettes spiralised
- 6 rashers bacon roughly chopped
- 4 eggs yolks only
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup parmesan
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan extra to serve
- Beat together the egg yolks, ½ cup of parmesan and a generous pinch of black pepper and set to one side.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat and add the bacon. Cook until just browned.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan along with the minced garlic and sliced mushrooms, stir well to combine, frying until the mushrooms and garlic are just tender and the bacon is crisp and cooked through.
- Tip the spiralised courgette into the pan and toss with the bacon and mushrooms. Allow to cook for just a minute or two until the courgettes are al dente and hot through.
- Remove the pan from the heat and immediately pour the parmesan and egg mixture over the hot courgetti. Toss well, coating everything in the sauce.
- Sprinkle over the remaining parmesan to serve and a good pinch of black pepper.
Calories: 312kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 23g