A firm family favorite, this courgetti Bolognese reduces the carb load of the traditional recipe to offer a keto friendly take on this classic pasta dish. Simple to prepare, the sauce can be left to simmer and reduce on the hob before serving over hot spiralised courgette. If you do not have a spiraliser you can prepare the courgette by peeling thin strips with a speed peeler or you can use shop bought noodles. This is a great option for families during the week!
- 600 g courgettes spiralised
- 1000 g minced beef grass-fed
- 8 rashers bacon
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virging
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 stick celery finely diced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil dried
- 2 tins plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 red onions finely diced
- 2 tablespoons parmesan grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the celery, onion, garlic, rosemary and bacon. Gently fry until the vegetables are tender and the bacon has browned.
- Add the beef mince to the pan along with the oregano and basil and season with black pepper. Stir well to combine and cook until the beef has browned all over.
- Add the balsamic vinegar to the pan along with the tomato puree and stir through the meat and vegetables.
- Add the hot beef stock and chopped tomatoes, stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the sauce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the liquid has reduced and thickened.
- Shortly before serving, heat the remaining olive oil in a large pan over a low/medium heat and add the courgetti. Season with a little salt and pepper and cover, cooking for just a few minutes until al dente – do not overcook or the courgetti will be soggy and not hold the sauce well!
- Drain any excess water from the cooked courgetti and top with the Bolognese sauce.
- Scatter with fresh basil and sprinkle over the parmesan to serve.
This bolognese sauce is fantastic for bulk cooking and freezing. I'll often make a large batch in the slow cooker and freeze it in portions. It's great to have on hand whenever you don't feel like cooking. Remember, the leaner the beef the more expensive it is. I always choose the cheaper, higher fat version!
Calories: 945kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 52g | Fat: 75g | Saturated Fat: 26g | Cholesterol: 208mg | Sodium: 641mg | Potassium: 1348mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 8.3% | Vitamin C: 36.5% | Calcium: 12.4% | Iron: 33.7%