A light and refreshing yet still satiating dinner option, this low carb chicken gyros salad is packed with flavour and just requires some marinating time for the best flavour. Although the chicken pieces have been griddled, you could cook these on kebab skewers and they would be just as delicious. Additionally, the salad tastes wonderful with a sprinkling of feta cheese. You would need to account for this separately in your macros if adding. The salad also includes a small helping of cherry tomatoes for added sweetness. If you wish to reduce the carb count further you can simply omit these. This will give you 5g net carbs per serving.
- 300 g chicken breast cut into strips
- 75 g Kalamata olives pitted
- 5 cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano dried
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cucumber skin removed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup full fat Greek yoghurt full fat
- ¼ red onions finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 100 g feta cheese crumbled
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add the minced garlic to a large bowl along with the yogurt, lemon juice and dried oregano. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir well to combine.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and stir, coating the chicken in the yoghurt. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Taking a speed peeler, peel the cucumber into wide strips and add to a large bowl. Sprinkle over a generous pinch of salt and toss to combine.
- Set aside for 20 minutes to allow the salt to draw excess moisture from the cucumber. Drain and pat dry.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a griddle or frying pan over a medium/high heat and add the marinated chicken pieces, shaking off any excess marinade.
- Fry for 10-12 minutes or until golden and completely cooked through.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, add half the chopped mint to the cucumbers along with the parsley and sliced onion and toss to combine.
- Arrange the cooked chicken pieces on top of the cucumber salad and top with the tomatoes and olives.
- Drizzle the salad with the remaining olive oil and scatter with pine nuts, crumbled feta cheese and the remaining fresh mint to serve.
Add extra dressing if desired.
Calories: 688kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 50g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 140mg | Sodium: 1327mg | Potassium: 986mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 22.7% | Vitamin C: 27.9% | Calcium: 33.9% | Iron: 17.7%