This curried chicken and cauliflower soup is rich with creamy coconut, mildly spiced and topped with toasted coconut pieces for added texture.This makes a great option for batch cooking, simply multiply the ingredients as required and freeze individual portions for future meals.
Servings: 4 people
- 500 grams chicken breast diced
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- 2.5 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups kale
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes toasted
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1.5 cups coconut milk
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 medium white onion sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a large pan or casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until browned all over. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reduce the heat and add the onion, garlic and dried spices. Stir well and sweat the vegetables until tender and fragrant.
- Add the remaining coconut oil to the pan along with the cauliflower florets and stir well, covering the cauliflower in the spices and oil. Cook the cauliflower for a minute or two in the seasonings.
- Add the coconut milk and broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce back to a simmer and add the chicken back to the pan.
- Continue to simmer gently for a further 10 minutes until the cauliflower is tender and the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Add the kale to the pan and stir through until just wilted.
- Scatter with fresh coriander and toasted coconut flakes to serve.
Calories: 525kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 27g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 417mg | Potassium: 1337mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 71.8% | Vitamin C: 113.6% | Calcium: 11.4% | Iron: 29.7%